Sunday, March 4, 2007

Creative Cuisine Solutions: Get the Bread Out!

Okay, everybody is on this "low carbs" thingie... still. And while I certainly don't shy away from the bread, I think it's important not to eat it with every meal. I believe 21 grams of fiber is the magic number and 1 serving of bread per day will do that if my memory serves me correctly. I usually have Whole Foods' Seeduction toast with peanut butter (and sliced banana this morning! YUM!) for breakfast so when it comes time for lunch I'm usually staring down the barrel of another salad or a wheat-free veggie alternative tortilla or something like that. Just now, just this afternoon, modeled after some fast food joint's lettuce wraps (can't remember which, I try to be responsible for everything that goes into my mouth and yes, that does sound dirty) which are modeled after a Thai creation I can't think of the name of, I just created the following:

Tuna Salad Spinach Wraps

1 individual serving-sized can white albacore tuna packed in water
2 tbsps Vegenaise
2 finely chopped stalks celery
2 finely chopped scallions
2 tsps dried cilantro
4 finely chopped fresh basil leaves
pepper to taste

Mix it all up in a bowl and yank out your spinach - I used organic stuff from Whole Foods cuz some of the leaves are appropriately enormous for wrapping purposes. Wash and roll, it works cuz the ends of the leaves kinda curl under so you just roll 'em up and munch 'em down like dolmaldes. Super tasty, super easy. Just watch out for the sodium content in the tuna - if you buy Chicken of the Sea you're looking at over 300 grams.

No comments: